Transfer Data to New Device

Transfer Data to New Device

Postby DRussell » Wed 26. Nov 2014, 06:06

I have a new phone and I want to transfer all my tasks to the new device. I used to Sync the data to Dropbox so I had a backup, but that stopped working long ago. I keep getting a message saying the Sync file is locked by another device. I would go into Dropbox and delete the sync.locked file and then try again. The synchronization would then work to the point where it would say synching tasks. Then the screen switches to Download sync file a second time and will again display the message that the sync folder is locked by another device. I don't know what else to do to get around this problem.

So, I created a backup of the data, found the backup .zip file on my phone and dragged that into drop box. However I don't know how to use that to import or restore the data once I get the file to the new device. If it is even possible.

Can anyone help?
DRussell

Re: Transfer Data to New Device

Postby DRussell » Wed 26. Nov 2014, 06:19

So it seemed to be that the synchronization seemed to be timing out on the tasks and starting over. Each time it started over and sync.locked file would be created in Dropbox. I decided to live dangerously and delete it from Dropbox each time it appeared. GTD would sync my tasks for a while, then restart. I deleted the sync.locked file each time, about 4 times, and each time it got a little farther in the process of synching my tasks. The last time in finished the tasks and got all the way to Resolve Inconsistencies. At this point it stopped and gave an error of "unable to close due to unfinalised statements." I am probably abusing he software at this point and it doesn't know what to do but neither do I. No clue what inconsistencies it would be talking about. I only use GTD on one device and I don't use it with Toodledo or whatever that package is.

I would appreciate some guidance. All I am really hoping to do is get my current tasks to my new device and into GTD there.

Thank you.

Dave
DRussell

Postby DRussell » Wed 26. Nov 2014, 15:17

I just had an idea and I went in and deleted all my completed tasks. Apparently I have enough that keeping them for 30 days before they fall off is a little too long. Once I did that the Synch went through fine. I can speculate as to why, it makes sense, but its a side issue.

The real reason that I started this post is the same. How do I get DGT on another device to import this file or a backup. It's not clear to me where to put it or how to tell DGT to look for it.

Your help would be appreciated. I use this so much that I am carrying my old phone just so I can have my task list.

Thank you

Dave
DRussell

Postby dgtale » Wed 26. Nov 2014, 22:01

- Plug in the old device to your pc
- find the backup zip file and copy it to your pc; device path should be: "sdcard"/DGT
- Unplug the old device
- plug in the new device
- create the folder "sdcard"/DGT
- copy the backup zip file from the pc to your new device
- unplug the new device
- start DGT GTD, go to Utilities > start the restore process
dgtale
Administrator

Return to DGT GTD (Getting Things Done)