Orphan Tasks in Inbox

Orphan Tasks in Inbox

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 03:35

Sync with Dropbox, then switching back (184) and syncing with Toodledo.

Result:

First time: 5 tasks in Inbox, all of which are duplicates of active or completed sub tasks of projects.
Second time and after, reproducible: 2 of the originally 5 duplicates in Inbox.

Every time I got rid of them by marking as completed. (Right, I believe in only as much work as strictly necessary). 8-)

How could I look closer into this issue to provide more data? At least, it happens with the Toodledo sync, not the Dropbox one. Might still be related, though?

Yours,
Roland
robier

Re: Orphan Tasks in Inbox

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 03:49

Addition:

There also has disappeared a project, which had no open tasks, but still wasn't completed.

Addition 2:

Same behaviour after restoring my original backup (pre-testing) and syncing just once with Toodledo. Only this time, I got the two orphan task twice in my Inbox. Always the same tasks.

Spekulation:

It might be, that I had manipulated the original tasks through bulk update. Maybe, it weren't even tasks but checklist items I tried to schedule using bulk update. Not really sure about that, sorry.

Good night,
Roland
robier

Postby dgtale » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 10:14

Maybe is wasn't clear, this test session is focused on the Dropbox synchronization.
I have added a new rule under "DONTS": DO NOT alternate Dropbox synchronizations and Toodledo synchronizations.

BTW Dropbox sync supports all DGT GTD features (infinite hierarchy, advanced reminders, ...), why do you still use Toodledo sync that has well known limitations? (moreover you have a FREE account with additional limitations).
dgtale
Administrator

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 12:58

dgtale wrote:Maybe is wasn't clear, this test session is focused on the Dropbox synchronization.

Well, I had understood it is about testing the implementation of the new feature "Dropbox Synchronisation". As far as I gather from previous experiences such a test certainly has to include investigations whether the new functionality breaks existing one. Wouldn't you agree?

Without a second android device I am not sure how I can check the synchronisation itself more detailed than observing the app notifications, nodding my head and thinking "well done - seemingly". ;)

why do you still use Toodledo sync that has well known limitations?

Because I can. :P

Nah, to be serious, I am doing that for testing purposes, obviously.

However, there might be a scenario where a user wants to use both simultaneously, or at least switch between the two services: Toodledo, even if limited, to have access to his agenda on his Windows Desktop or anywhere non-Android; and Dropbox, to fully and completely sync his DGT Done data with another android device (or even a second user and their android device - think couples, or team members, f.i.).

Moreover, since the orphans appeared after restoring the pre-test backup and syncing first time and only with Toodledo, this might be an indication that indeed this beta breaks part of the functionality of Toodledo sync, and thus might well be worth looking into.

Yours, stubbornly,
Roland :)
robier

Postby dgtale » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:13

I really appreciate your investigation capabilities and, of course, the reported issue will be analysed in a second time.
We can't start testing all in the first test session, the goal of this first test session is to isolate the bugs of the Dropbox sync implementation.

robier wrote:the orphans appeared after restoring the pre-test backup and syncing first time and only with Toodledo

That is the proof that the Dropbox sync is not guilty.
It will happen again and again after restoring and syncing again with Toodledo, even if you uninstall the Value Pack that contains the Dropbox sync implementation.

The Toodledo sync implementation is part of the DGT GTD Toodledo plugin; I have noted your bug report and I'll investigate this misbehavour asap.
dgtale
Administrator

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:19

dgtale wrote:
robier wrote:the orphans appeared after restoring the pre-test backup and syncing first time and only with Toodledo

That is the proof that the Dropbox sync is not guilty.
[..]
The Toodledo sync implementation is part of the DGT GTD Toodledo plugin; I have noted your bug report and I'll investigate this misbehavour asap.

More than fair. :)

Just wondering, why that orphans never appeared doing Toodledo synchronisation before installing the Dropbox test candidate?

Nice and maybe sunny sunday in your southerly place ;),
Roland
robier

Postby dgtale » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:33

robier wrote:Just wondering, why that orphans never appeared doing Toodledo synchronisation before installing the Dropbox test candidate?

When you switch the sync service or when you restore from a previous backup file the next Toodledo sync will be executed as "Full merge".
Actually when you switch back to the Toodledo service (or after a restore) the app assumes that you are reconnecting with Toodledo and it must exchange the tasks between your device and the Toodledo service.
By merging the two, it could happen that the same task in DGT and in Toodledo doesn't match and this leads to duplicates, disconnection from projects, ...

robier wrote:Nice and maybe sunny sunday in your southerly place ;)

Sunny and strongly windy :shock:
dgtale
Administrator

Postby dgtale » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:42

PS: as workaround for the "orphans" issue you can start from step 5 of this how-to-fix: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
dgtale
Administrator

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:53

dgtale wrote:PS: as workaround for the "orphans" issue you can start from step 5 of this how-to-fix: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Thanks, but I surely will drop Toodledo synchronisation after a successfull implementation of Dropbox, so those few tasks don't bother me that much. ;)

Yours,
Roland
robier

Postby robier » Sun 3. Feb 2013, 13:56

dgtale wrote:When you switch the sync service or when you restore from a previous backup file the next Toodledo sync will be executed as "Full merge".[..]

I see. Just as added info: I have switched some more times and noticed, that there also appear lots of duplicates in my completed tasks (about 40 per switch/sync).

Sunny and strongly windy :shock:

Well, we still got some wind, though by far not as strong as the last two days, but no sun at all, grey theme here ...

Luckily, we all have a sun in our heart. :D

Yours,
Roland
robier

Return to Cloud Synchronization - RC1 (test session closed)